In this blog I have explored a variety of issues related to water and environmental change across the African continent. However, I have found myself focusing largely on countries in North and East Africa, including Morocco, Egypt, Ethiopia and Kenya. These regions of Africa contain a diverse range of environments such as the Moroccan Hamada, the sub-Saharan frontier, the Saharan plains of Egypt and the Ethiopian and Kenyan highlands. These environments are distinct and vastly different to one another; however, they share a range of common concerns in relation to water and environmental change including extreme climatic and ecological shifts. While each environment has differences in local geography, examining the hydrological system in each environment demonstrates that they are interlinked by various measures of separation.
Whilst the case studies I have explored are relatively
complex, one significant factor that has been a constant theme is the persistent
force of environmental change in ecologically delicate regions. This includes
the fast-disappearing oases on the periphery of the Sahara, the vulnerable
state of the Nile River and the risk of increased flash flooding in East Africa.
The scientific projections and forecasts that have been referred to throughout
this blog have demonstrated the need for drastic action in order to prevent widespread
irrevocable environmental changes, particularly in regions that are already in a vulnerable
state. The solutions to environmental change in Africa differ in complexity. In
this blog I have not investigated the potential climate change reversal schemes
in detail, but I have discussed large infrastructural and community led
projects such as afforestation and agricultural schemes in Morocco and Kenya and The Great Green Wall project in the Sahel. These schemes have demonstrated to provide a degree of relief to hydrological
issues, creating a step towards a more sustainable future. I hope such schemes can
continue under correct governance so that a balance between hydrological development
and environmental stability can be reached.
Thank you for reading.
Comments
Post a Comment